Residents of Maryville, Tennessee, a city tucked away in the Smoky Mountains, understood the value of a radiant smile. However, tooth sensitivity can be painful and annoying. We will explore the science of tooth sensitivity treatment options by a Maryville dentist in this post and offer helpful advice on how to cope with it and how to keep your mouth healthy in Maryville.
Sensitivity of the teeth
When the protective enamel on your teeth is worn down or when your gum tissue recedes, exposing the underlying dentin, you experience tooth sensitivity, also known as dentin hypersensitivity. Small tubules called dentin are made up of nerve endings that carry sensations to the nerve center of the tooth.
Science Behind Sensations
Certain stimuli can cause these nerve terminals to fire sharply or violently when the dentin is exposed. The subsequent elements affect the tooth sensitivity:
- Hot and Cold Sensitivity: Exposed dentin nerve endings can be stimulated by hot or cold meals and drinks.
- Acidic foods and beverages, including soda and citrus fruits, can erode enamel and make people more sensitive.
- Bristle type: Using a hard-bristled toothbrush or vigorous brushing may wear down the enamel and increase sensitivity.
- Gum Recession: Gum recession can cause increased sensitivity by exposing the delicate tooth roots.
Relieving Tooth Sensitivity in Maryville
- Switch to Soft-Bristle Toothbrush
A soft-bristle toothbrush should be chosen to reduce the risk of enamel erosion during brushing.
- Use of Desensitizing Toothpaste
Desensitizing toothpaste is a specialized product that can assist in preventing sensations from reaching the nerve endings.
- Fluoride treatment
Fluoride treatments can be applied by Maryville dentists to harden the enamel and reduce sensitivity.
- Steer, clear acidic food and beverages
Consume acidic foods in moderation and then rinse your mouth out with water.
Consider using a mouthguard if you clench or grind your teeth to prevent further harm to enamel.
- Exercise Soft Brushing:
Use a fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth softly and avoid applying excessive pressure.
- Routine Dental Exams:
Visit your Maryville dentist on a regular basis for checkups to manage tooth discomfort and prevent further problems.
In the scenic beauty of Maryville, Tennessee, a pain-free and radiant smile enhances the enjoyment of daily life. Understanding the science behind tooth sensitivity empowers the control of oral health.